Tours of the Scottish Parliament are free of charge. Advanced booking is essential.
You can also visit the public areas of the building without going on a guided tour. This normally includes the Debating Chamber (subject to parliamentary business), exhibition, cafe and the shop.
On this general tour through the Scottish Parliament building guides provide information on the history, work and procedures of the Scottish Parliament and about the architecture of the award winning Scottish Parliament building.
Join us on a tour to discover the Art Collection of the Scottish Parliament. This hour-long tour features some of the paintings, photographs, sculptures and installations that form part of the Scottish Parliament Art Collection.
Explore the building from a different perspective and see its links with literature. The tour includes a visit to the Dewar Room which houses the unique collection belonging to Donald Dewar.
Policies and procedures for requesting a guided tour and how we will use your data.
Booking periods for guided tours open as follows:
For the period start of March to end of May bookings open on the first Tuesday in December
For the period start of June to end of August bookings open on the first Tuesday in March
For the period start of September to end of November bookings open on the first Tuesday in June
For the period start of December to end of February bookings open on the first Tuesday in September
- No booking is necessary to visit the building, however you should adhere to the Parliament's Code of Conduct
- Open Monday to Saturday
- Free entry
- Visit all the public areas without a guided tour
- Visit the public gallery of the Debating Chamber
- Shop, café and exhibition
- Guided tour booking not necessary to visit the public areas. If you do wish to join a guided tour it is advisable to book in advance. The guided tour pages have further information.
- To book tickets for Parliamentary business, there is further information on the Parliament Debates and Committee Meetings pages
This is what some of our visitors have said about the guided tours:
"Wonderful! The guide brought the building to life."
"Guide was excellent, really enjoyed the tour."
"That was really terrific, thoroughly enjoyed it!!"
"Wonderful tour, really enjoyed it, learnt a lot."
"Much more interesting than expected."
"Amazing that Scottish Parliament is so open. Spectacular tour."