ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY 2012 -13
The SPCB is committed to being a role model for best practice in environmental performance and to acting sustainably.
The SPCB is committed to continual improvement of its environmental performance and to protecting the environment by reducing pollution and resource consumption, and by supporting and encouraging biodiversity.
The SPCB will:
- Ensure all members of staff, Members of the Scottish Parliament and other building users fully understand the contribution they can make to improve environmental performance.
- Contribute to climate change mitigation by reducing the Parliament’s carbon footprint.
- Plan and prepare for a changing climate
- Improve the energy efficiency of the building and use renewable energy where appropriate.
- Use water efficiently.
- Safe guard resources by minimising waste and identifying ways to reduce, reuse, repair and recycle materials.
- Purchase in an environmentally responsible manner in line with the Responsible Purchasing Policy and Strategy;
- Reduce the need to travel - where appropriate - and promote the use of sustainable travel by people working in and visiting the building;
- Support and encourage biodiversity within the parliamentary grounds;
- Comply with - and where possible exceed - all relevant legal and other requirements that relate to the environment;
- Maintain an environmental management system (EMS) which complies with the International Standard for Environmental Management (ISO 14001). The EMS will cover the Parliament complex and surrounding grounds.
The Environmental Policy has been agreed by the SPCB and the Parliament's Leadership Group, but its effective implementation is the responsibility of all those working in and using the Parliament.
Policy Date: December 2012