Jackson Carlaw MSP

Welcome to Jackson Carlaw MSP's biography pages

Jackson Carlaw MSP

Here you can find out about your MSPs' political activities and how to get in touch with them.

Parliamentary Activities

Search for other Speeches made by Jackson Carlaw

Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

I am minded to ask the council at least for a more detailed view. I presume that it did not arrive at a flood prevention scheme just because it thought that it was a lovely idea. Something more fundamental must have underpinned its investigation, and I would like to know what that was and get a broader understanding. I imagine that lots of people will say that there is no issue here, but for some, the issue might be considerable and I would like to have the council’s perspective on all of that. We could also ask the council why it alighted on one particular solution out of those that it considered. Furthermore, if the council’s funding application has been unsuccessful, we can ask what its likely course of action is.



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

It is a good petition. I am just sorry that Mr Thom did not bring any crayfish with him for us to have a—[Laughter.]



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

Angus MacDonald and I are probably in agreement here. I would like to hear the Scottish Government’s view first, although I do not preclude taking evidence from others thereafter. I am not necessarily saying that I would like to go down that route but I can see that I might, so in those circumstances I would be quite happy to hear from the minister, too. In the first instance, since the Scottish Government obviously has some understanding of the issue, I would quite like to get to grips with what it thinks that understanding is.



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

Actually, I disagree. This seems to me to be precisely the sort of petition that the Public Petitions Committee could do something useful with. It seems to me that there is a recognised problem that has somehow managed to stay underneath the searchlight of focused political intervention but on which we might be able to give some assistance. Ultimately, the petition might be referred to another committee, but in the first instance I would like to hear the Scottish Government’s views because it seems to have been involved. I want to understand where the Government thinks the whole thing has got to.

I would be very much in favour of taking evidence from SNH and SEPA. If, as has been suggested, there is some viability in a not-for-profit enterprise, we could take the work to a stage at which we could pass the petition to the Rural Affairs, Climate Change and Environment Committee with some suggestion about how to take it forward.

It seems to me that there has been something of an unproductive circle of recognition of the issue and a disinclination to agree on any solution. In the absence of anybody making a fuss about that, nothing has happened.



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

Notwithstanding the current regulations, were I to visit friends in the area, I might find that one or two of the crayfish had found their way into the kitchen. Will you comment on that?



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

Right. Scottish Natural Heritage’s response to the proposal is predicated on the basis that the only way in which a licence would operate would be if someone was able to sell the product commercially all over the place for private gain. You challenge the view that a licence would inevitably lead to that.



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

You envisage a very specific restriction on the commercial exploitation of a profit. A business would be allowed to operate, but the profits would be reinvested into education and some sort of community benefit.



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

As it happens, last week I saw a “Reporting Scotland” feature on these crayfish, which seem to be a very successful species: extraordinarily invasive, incredibly resilient and altogether quite tasty, by all accounts.

The question is how we deal with the problem. In its response to the petition, SNH is very aggressively of the view that the licensing of trapping commercially would act as an incentive for the illegal introduction of the crayfish into all other waterways around Scotland, because people would see that they could be licensed to fish the product and make a nice return from it. Licensing would in fact act as a catalyst for the extension of the invasive species, rather than as a method of containment. I am interested in your reaction to that.

I am not advocating that position, because I am slightly unimpressed by SNH’s argument. Ultimately, it seems to me, SNH is saying that the only way to stop the problem is to fall back on a policy option that I think has been the least successful in almost any instance in political life that I can remember it being urged, which is to educate people and raise awareness. That did not work on alcohol, seat belts or tobacco; I cannot think of any instance in which raising public awareness has had the slightest effect at all. If that is all that SNH can suggest by way of a remedy, I am not terribly impressed. However, I would like to understand your reaction to its fear about what licensing might do.



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

Sort of, I suppose. I think that I will have to get some help on it all from some of the submissions that we might receive.



Public Petitions Committee 23 February 2015 : Monday, February 23, 2015
Jackson Carlaw

Therefore, I am not quite sure how that position would be remedied through European legislation. In a way, you are almost uncomfortable within the UK context, which you have now set apart from the rest of the European Union, with the fact that the advice through the regulator appointed in England to oversee how the regulation should be applied is different from that in Scotland. I cannot quite see how you would remedy that through the European Union, because it is now a matter for the Scottish Government to determine whether it thinks a convincing enough case has been made by the argument that you present to request SEPA to look again at the way in which it chooses to enforce the regulation.

Vote DetailMSP VoteResult

S4M-12385 Liz Smith: STEM Education in Scottish Schools—That the Parliament agrees that a solid grou
>> Show more
NoCarried

S4M-12395.1 Fergus Ewing: An Energy Strategy for Scotland—As an amendment to motion S4M-12395 in the
>> Show more
NoCarried

S4M-12395.2 Patrick Harvie: An Energy Strategy for Scotland—As an amendment to motion S4M-12395 in t
>> Show more
NoDefeated

S4M-12395 Murdo Fraser: An Energy Strategy for Scotland—That the Parliament notes with concern the l
>> Show more
NoCarried

S4M-12385.3 Alasdair Allan: STEM Education in Scottish Schools—As an amendment to motion S4M-12385 i
>> Show more
NoCarried

S4M-12382.3 Mary Fee: Building Scotland’s Infrastructure for the Future—As an amendment to motion S4
>> Show more
Not VotedDefeated

S4M-12382.1 Gavin Brown: Building Scotland’s Infrastructure for the Future—As an amendment to motion
>> Show more
Not VotedDefeated

S4M-12382.2 Willie Rennie: Building Scotland’s Infrastructure for the Future—As an amendment to moti
>> Show more
Not VotedDefeated

S4M-12382 Keith Brown: Building Scotland’s Infrastructure for the Future—That the Parliament recogni
>> Show more
Not VotedCarried

Amendment 1 moved by Gavin Brown on motion S4M-12344 John Swinney: Community Charge Debt (Scotland)
>> Show more
YesDefeated

Search for other Motions lodged by Jackson Carlaw
EventIdTypeSub TypeMSP NameParty NameConstituencyRegionTitleItemTextFormattedAnswer DateAnswerStatusIdExpectedAnswerDateAnsweredByMspApprovedDateSubmissionDateMeetingDateProductionStatusIdRecordStatusIdStatus DateOnBehalfOfConsideredForMembersBusinessCrossPartySupportRegisteredInterestSupportCountSupportDateIsEventLinkCurrentMinister
Motion S4M-12440: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 25/02/2015 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-12325.2: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 17/02/2015 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-12193: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 28/01/2015 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-12133: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 21/01/2015 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-12060.1: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 14/01/2015 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-12045.2: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 13/01/2015 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-11917: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 16/12/2014 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-11837: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 09/12/2014 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-11601: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 19/11/2014 Show Full Motion >>
Motion S4M-11484.1: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 10/11/2014 Show Full Motion >>
Search for other Questions asked by Jackson Carlaw
EventIdTypeSub TypeMSP NameParty NameConstituencyRegionTitleItemTextFormattedAnswer DateAnswerStatusIdExpectedAnswerDateAnsweredByMspApprovedDateSubmissionDateMeetingDateProductionStatusIdRecordStatusIdStatus DateOnBehalfOfConsideredForMembersBusinessCrossPartySupportRegisteredInterestSupportCountSupportDateIsEventLinkCurrentMinister
Question S4O-03993: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 27/01/2015 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-24026: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 15/01/2015 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-24027: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 15/01/2015 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-23589: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 09/12/2014 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-23588: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 09/12/2014 Show Full Question >>
Question S4O-03656: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 27/10/2014 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-22764: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 07/10/2014 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-22765: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 07/10/2014 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-22766: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 07/10/2014 Show Full Question >>
Question S4W-22767: Jackson Carlaw, West Scotland, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party, Date Lodged: 07/10/2014 Show Full Question >>